Written and adapted during my work in teaching computing across the primary age range, the scheme of work that I’ve put together is aimed at providing teachers with the resources, including lesson plans and tutorial video clips, to deliver the programming aspects of the National Curriculum for Computing. Thanks go to the wonderful pupils and teachers of Great Horwood School, and the many colleagues (mostly via Twitter) who have kindly shared ideas online.
The scheme of work now consists of fourteen units of work, with more units being added as often as I get a chance.
Update – December 2014
In addition to the programming units, new units have now been added for word processing (year 1), creating pictures (year 2), email (year 3), creating and manipulating images (year 4), comics, (year 4), simulating the real world (Year 5) and movie making (year 6).
Please feel free to use or adapt this scheme of work for your school, respecting the Creative Commons Licence.
Order a DVD-ROM with all units and video clips
Due to a number of requests from schools, I am now offering the scheme of work on a DVD-ROM for £20 plus postage and packing. The DVD-ROM contains over 800mb of video clips and lesson plans, and purchasing a DVD-ROM includes a site licence, entitling the school to copy the contents of the DVD-ROM to the school’s network or individual teacher computers.
Thank you to the following sites for your guidance:
|http://computingatschool.org.uk/||An excellent site and a must for all subject leaders.|
|http://primarycomputing.co.uk/||A primary national curriculum with wonderful resources described|
|https://www.codeclub.org.uk/||Code Club – national clubs for programming!|
|http://www.simonhaughton.co.uk/ict-lessons/||Amazing site with lots of great resources!|
Useful Sites and Resources
- BBC Schools – Computing; a wonderful resource with video clips to support Computer Science, IT and Digital Literacy
- Curriculum Planning tools and resources
- General Software, hardware and programming tools
- 2Simple Software (including Purple Mash, 2Code and the Infant Video Toolkit) http://www.2simple.com/
- App Inventor (Year 6 Programming) http://appinventor.mit.edu/
- Scratch (Programming for primary) http://scratch.mit.edu/
- Blockly https://code.google.com/p/blockly/
- TouchDevelop (programming) https://www.touchdevelop.com/
- Beebot Software http://www.focuseducational.com/category/item/6
- Lightbot http://light-bot.com/
- BigTrak http://www.bigtrakxtr.co.uk/
- Just2Easy including J2Code http://www.j2e.com/j2code/
- iPad apps
- ScratchJr http://www.scratchjr.org/
- Kodable http://www.kodable.com/
- Hopscotch https://www.gethopscotch.com/
- Beebot https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bee-bot/id500131639
- Daisy the Dinosaur http://www.daisythedinosaur.com/